You’re in scrubs all day at work. But is that same attire expected of you during a job interview? As one of the leading medical employment agencies in Sacramento, California, Pacific MedStaff can tell you that this question is quite common. And the answer is that you should dress in business clothing.
What does that mean?
If you have a suit, wear it; if you don’t, then at the very least wear a dress shirt and dress pants or a tailored skirt. However, if you’re applying for a position in healthcare management, then it’s important you wear a suit. Otherwise, you won’t be viewed as professional.
Some other tips for dressing for your next nursing interview:
- Stay away from anything that distracts an interviewer, such as a skirt that’s too short or flashy jewelry. You’re applying for a professional position, so you must look the part.
- Clothes should be pressed, tailored, and in neutral colors. Keep accessories to a minimum, as well. Make sure your footwear is appropriate too. That means leaving the sneakers at home.
- Test drive your outfit before the day of the interview. You want to ensure you feel both comfortable and confident in it. If you don’t, your attire could distract you from doing your best in a job interview.
- Whatever you wear, make sure your hair and nails appear neat and well-groomed. In addition, don’t wear any perfumes or colognes. The person interviewing you may have allergies or be sensitive to certain scents. The last thing you want is to stand out for the wrong reason.
- Stop by the restroom when you arrive to make sure your hair, face, and clothing are neat and in place.
- Also, mind your body language during the job interview. Your body language is part of your overall appearance – and the message you send to an interviewer. Pay close attention to it.
Keep in mind, you may have the strongest resume – and the best nursing credentials. But if you look sloppy or aren’t dressed appropriately for a job interview, you’re not going to get hired.
If you’d like more help finding your next nursing job in Sacramento, call Pacific MedStaff. As one of the leading medical employment agencies in Sacramento, California, we partner with top health care organizations in the area – and can match you with job opportunities that are the right fit for you.