As one of the leading staffing agencies in Sacramento, California, Pacific Staffing knows that when it comes to hiring, one of the most important decisions you have to make is whether you need someone full-time or part-time. Make the wrong choice and you could wind up with the wrong person.
To help you in your decision making, here’s a look at some of the pros and cons of hiring part-time employees:
Pros of Part-Time Employees:
- You can save money and still access the skills you need. Part-time employees cost less, plain and simple. And not only from a salary standpoint; but also from a benefits standpoint too. That’s because, depending on how many hours they work, many part-time employees don’t qualify for the same expensive benefits that full-time employees have access to.
- Part-time employees enable you to handle your peak periods more efficiently. For example, you may want to schedule their hours around a certain time of the day that you know is especially busy. This will help you ensure your customers are satisfied and your other employees don’t get burned out.
- Part-time employees can fill-in when other employees are out of the office, whether sick for a few days or on maternity leave. And when you tap a part-timer for this kind of work, there’s no guessing game…you already know what you’re getting in terms of skill level and work ethic.
- There’s a certain segment of the professional workforce that doesn’t want to work full-time, including mothers with small children, semi-retired workers, and professionals earning their degrees. By offering part-time employment, you can tap into this talented pool.
Cons of Part-Time Employees:
- When an employee only comes into the office a couple of days a week, they may not fit in as quickly or easily as other employees simply because they’re not in the office as often.
- Many of today’s job candidates are searching for full-time employment opportunities. As a result, by only offering part-time employment, you may be missing out on some of the industry’s top talent.
- When an employee isn’t in the office each day, they may become unaware of problems or issues that are occurring. As a result, it will take them longer to get up to speed and get their head in the game, possibly resulting in process bottlenecks.
- A part-time employee may feel less loyalty to the organization and may take less ownership over their job than someone who is full-time.
Need Professional Help Hiring?
Regardless of whether you need to hire on a part-time, full-time, or on a temporary basis, Pacific Staffing can help. As one of the leading staffing agencies in Sacramento, California, we have 25 years of experience making great matches between employers and talent. Let us help you too! Contact Pacific Staffing today to learn more.